Chocolate is NOT Good for Pets!

Easter is on our doorstep and that means the Easter Bunny will be soon dropping off sweets and treats for our families. Beware as the fun Easter hunt or giving your pet a chocolate treat can be dangerous. Chocolate is toxic at certain doses because it contains methylxanthine theobromine. Different types of chocolate contain different levels of this toxin with darker more bitter chocolate (baking chocolate) being worse than milk and white chocolate, in that order. The toxicity is dose related meaning that the overall affect depends on the size of the dog, the amount of chocolate eaten and the type of chocolate. Symptoms include restlessness, excitement, hyperactivity, trembling, vomiting, diarrhoea, seizures and possibly death. If your dog has ingested chocolate it is better to present early to the vets as they can induce vomiting to remove the product however once the chocolate has moved past the stomach, which is roughly in 1-2 hours, it becomes much more difficult to treat. If you have any concerns please feel free to call Gunnedah Veterinary Hospital on 6742 1834.

Menu